Valentine’s Day is coming and I find it rather underwhelming. Mr. H & I exchange cards and that’s pretty much it because the price gauging on flowers during V Day week is appalling. And besides, you should show someone you love them all year long, who needs presents on a random day in February? (***BUT IF MY DEAR RH IS READING THIS I WOULD REALLY LIKE A NEW ALEX & ANI BRACELET ON FEB. 14th***)
Instead of feeding into the crazy Valentine’s Day madness, do fun things like these all year long to keep that spark there….
- Make them this and try not to eat it all yourself. Homemade red velvet cake cheesecake? Absolutely.
- Go out for a random surprise date night during the week when you can get a great table at your fave restaurant or my fave restaurant (and if you go to Chez Pascal, request to be seated in Mark’s section. He’s simply the best.) Get a fancy cocktail, flirt, hold hands across the table, make out in the car after dinner…or whatever.
- Sock away $5 or $10 a week and when you have enough, spring for a night in a schmancy hotel near home or wherever. Pretend you’re on vacation. Pick each other up in the hotel bar. Hotel shenanigans are way fun.
- Surprise your sweetheart when they get home from work with a packed picnic and drive down to the beach at night. Make sure you have Boone’s Farm and Big Gulp cups full of ice. Look at the stars, watch the waves, make out on the beach…or whatever.
- Give your boo a card just because and list a whole mess of reasons why you love them.
- Recreate your first date. Remember what the butterflies in your stomach felt like when you first kissed and hold on to that feeling even when they do something that annoys you (like putting on “Gold Rush Alaska”) and you want to pinch them really hard.
- Make him watch "The Notebook" with you, damn it. If he just freaking sits down and gives it a chance, he’ll finally understand what all the fuss is about! It’s ONLY THE MOST ROMANTIC MOVIE EVER MADE AND RYAN GOSLING IS AMAZING AND IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK TO SLOW DANCE WITH ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET JUST ONCE?
- Um. Sorry about that last one.
- Make your love their favorite meal and clean up afterwards. (Try to make sure you live in a house with a dishwasher. This will make cleaning up much less torturous)
- Buy your sweetie their fave candy the next time you’re at CVS and don’t try to sneak any of them once the bag is open. (Sorry about the Sour Patch Watermelons, honey. I only had a couple.)
- Just be nice to each other. Back down during a fight. Stop having to be right all the time and just cool off. Remember why you fell in love. Don’t sweat the small stuff and remember that it’s the two of you in it for the long haul. I mean, sure…you’re going to fight. That’s inevitable. But let the fights be few and far between.
"So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day."